VIA announces new Mini-ITX 2.0 standard
June 05, 2008
VIA Technologies today announced a new minimum specification for Mini-ITX motherboards.
Mini-ITX 2.0 keeps the 17 x 17cm form factor we know and love, but updates several key areas.
- Processor: High-performance, power efficient x86 processor, such as the VIA Nano processor
- Memory: Support for minimum 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
- Graphics: DirectX 9.0 integrated (IGP); DirectX 10 through an add-in card
- Display: 1 VGA port for LCD display; 1 HDMI port on add-in card
- HD Audio: 3 Audio jacks for up to 6-channel surround sound
- Broadband Connectivity: 1 Gigabit LAN port
- Storage: 2 Serial ATA II slots + 1 IDE (PATA) slot
- Peripheral Connectivity: Minimum 4 USB2.0 ports
- Expansion: 1 PCI Express 16-lane slot
- Size: 17cm x 17cm
- O/S Support: Microsoft® Windows Vista®; Microsoft Windows Vista Premium (through an add-in graphics card); Microsoft Windows® XP, and major Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Suse Linux and gOS
The first Mini-ITX boards hit the streets in early 2002 and since then many manufacturers have produced boards using their own interpretation of the specifications.
None of the Mini-ITX 2.0 features are particularly ground breaking in 2008 but they do set a new baseline, one that hasn't been set in a long time. A "Mini-ITX 2.0" board will bring a guarantee of Vista support, DX10 expandability, Gigabit LAN, SATA 2.0 and a PCI Express slot.
VIA expect motherboards and systems based around the Mini-ITX 2.0 standard to be available from leading vendors in the fourth quarter of 2008.
|Permalink | mini-link|
AMD announce Ryzen 4000 "G " Series with Integrated Graphics 21 Jul 20
ASRock built a Mini-ITX sized RX 570 with Thunderbolt 3 11 Jun 19
ASRock fills out range of 8th Gen Core Intel 'Coffee Lake' Mini-ITX boards 26 Apr 18
Intel Atom C3958 gets benchmarked on GIGABYTE's MA10 motherboard 09 Oct 17
Intels next generation NUCs 29 Sep 17
ZOTAC introduces two new ZBOX Mini PCs 14 Sep 17
pfSense to require AES-NI from 2.5: how it affects you 08 Sep 17
Gigabyte's GTX 1080 Mini ITX OC 8G Graphics Card 06 Sep 17
ASRock launches DeskMini GTX/RX mini PC with GTX 1080 05 Sep 17
Gigabyte's Denverton MA10 Mini-ITX motherboards 05 Sep 17